One of the major modifications of surface properties by plasma technology is the ⇒ modification of the surface tension.The effects of surface treatment by etching are a very important factor:
- Chemical plasma etching or micro-sandblasting increases the surface and thus further improves the adhesive properties
- By anisotropic etching (⇒ ion etching, ⇒RIE), surface structures for the semiconductor electronics are generated.
By means of plasma coating, surface coats can be equipped with modified properties:
- for instance protective coats on electronic circuits
- scratch-proof DLC coats, also CD
- wear-proof gearbox components
- water-repellent PTFE or HMDSO coats